Before You Begin
- Any professional groomer wishing to certify, must first acquire membership with the NAPCG.
- The Science of Creative Grooming is mandatory study material for NAPCG written certification.
- A score of 85% on each examination (written and practical) will be required to pass your certification.
- Once the passing grade is achieved on both the practical and written exams, the title of Certified Professional Creative Groomer (CPCG) will be given.
- Applicants who pass all certification requirements with the NAPCG and who are also master certified with IPG, NDGAA, NCGIA, or CPG will be given the title of Master Certified Professional Creative Groomer (MCPCG).
- Renewal of membership with the NAPCG as well as annual certification renewal will be required to maintain either title.
- If your NAPCG membership is allowed to expire, certification title will be revoked. If annual certification renewal fees are not paid certification title will be revoked.
- Application fee for the NAPCG certification process will be 125.00 for written, and 125.00 for practical. Total exam fees: 250.00.
- All exam fees are nonrefundable.
- If passing grade is not achieved, applicant may retake either exam for a reduced fee of 85.00.
- The written examination must be taken and passed prior to taking your practical exam.
Written Certification Exam
- All information in the NAPCG written examination is taken from The Science of Creative Grooming. Written exam consists of 78 questions.
- Applicants will be given 2 hours to complete the written exam.
- It is strongly recommended that applicants attend a Science of Creative Grooming seminar or workshop.
Practical Certification Exam
- Any breed of dog or cat may be used for your practical exam. However, keep in mind the techniques that must be utilized for certification testing.
- Black or very dark coats cannot be used for certification testing. While there are creative techniques appropriate for black/dark coats, certification testing requires the use of multiple techniques that cannot be completed on a black/dark coat.
- Animals’ skin and coat will be checked by your certifier prior to certification testing. Coat should be clean and free of mats. Skin should appear healthy. No rashes, parasites, open sores, or other obvious signs of irritation will be allowed.
- Mishandling of the pet at any time during certification will be grounds for dismissal. Your certifier’s decision on mishandling will be final.
- For certification testing, you will be required to utilize semi-permanent color, temporary color, and accessories that compliment the overall groom. If you are attempting certification with a feline, you will be exempt from using accessories.
Total time for pets 15 inches and under at the shoulder – 2 hours
Total time for pets over 15 inches at the shoulder – 2 hours, 30 minutes
For more information on the written or practical examinations, please contact us at [email protected]